Get involved with Move UBC!
Whether you want to host an event, share supports with students, faculty or staff, or help us spread the word that small movements can add up to big changes, there are lots of ways to take part in Move UBC!
I want to...
Do you have an idea for an event or initiative that gets our UBC community moving? Grants of up to $1,500 are available to bring your idea to life at UBC Vancouver or Okanagan campus. Accepting applications starting on Sept 1, 2023.
You can help getting our campus community moving more by hosting an in-person or remote event, workshop, or activity that supports physical activity.
Have a weekly walking club? Hosting a yoga session? We want to share and celebrate all the great ways you move--whether in-person or virtually!
Move UBC events can be existing initiatives that you already host, or one designed specifically for Move UBC.
Tips for hosting a Move UBC event:
- When putting together an event, make sure to take a look at the Inclusive Physical Activity toolkit to ensure that your event is inclusive and welcome for everyone.
- Start by registering as a Move UBC partner. We'll provide you with lots of great Move UBC swag to help promote your event.
- Get inspired by the great events and initiatives taking place throughout Move UBC month in February. When you have details for your own event, add it to the Move UBC calendar.
- Fill out the event webform and be sure to include details such as location, who can attend, and event details. Your event will be reviewed, approved and published within a few days.
- Need funds to make your event happen? Learn about Move UBC grants!
Learning from a computer can mean lots of time spent being sedentary. Help support student wellbeing by looking for ways to promote ways to movement in your learning environment—it can help improve learning, creativity, and concentration!
- Incorporate an on-demand movement break into your Canvas Course through our movement breaks that you can find on the Canvas Commons! Below are the links for these breaks:
- Want to help your students move more, but don't know where to start? Book the Move U Crew to lead your class through a 5-10 minute movement break.
- Take a Stand! The School of Health and Exercise Sciences (Okanagan Campus) shares their policy for incorporating standing and movement breaks for students during lecture-based classes.
- Let your students know it's ok to stand, stretch, and move around during classes. Many students have classes online and may find themselves sitting for hours at a time.
Help spread the word about Move UBC! Email your colleagues and peers on campus, put up posters, or re-share via social media using the hashtag #MoveUBC.
Here you'll find a communication toolkit with suggested social media content, graphics and more.
View the Move UBC 2024 Communications Toolkit