UBC 3MT: Physical Activity Heat
UBC Recreation & UBC Wellbeing are hosting a 3MT (Three Minute Thesis) Physical Activity Heat to celebrate Move UBC month! Tune in to hear about up-and-coming research in the field of physical activity from UBC Vancouver and UBC Okanagan where the top competitor receives a grand prize of $200 cash!
What is 3MT?
The Three Minute Thesis (3MT) is an academic competition that assists current graduate students with fostering effective presentation and communication skills. Participants have just three minutes to explain the breadth and significance of their research project to a non-specialist audience. Founded by the University of Queensland in 2008, the popularity of the competition has steadily increased and 3MT competitions are now held in over 350 universities across 59 countries worldwide. UBC, one of the first universities in North America to host a 3MT competition, has been presenting 3MT since 2011.
- When: Friday, February 19th
- Time: 12:00-1:30pm
- Where: Virtual! RSVP here for the link.
Compete in 3MT
Competitors will present a three-minute maximum presentation to a single, static PowerPoint slide based on research directly related to the student’s current graduate program thesis. All competitors from both campuses will be eligible to win the $200 cash prize during the physical activity heat.
- To participate in 3MT @UBC you must currently be registered in a graduate program at UBC. PhD students who have defended but have not yet graduated are eligible. Students must not have graduated prior to the date of the competition final.
- Students who have competed in past 3MT @UBC competitions may participate. Their presentation must be new for each competition.
- Presentations must be based on research that is directly related to the student’s graduate program thesis. Research performed for employment should not be presented.
- Competitors must be available to present on the day of their heat, and may only participate in one heat per year. Winners of the semi-finals must also be available to participate in the live stream for the 3MT final.
Competitors can REGISTER HERE. Register by Feb 7.
UBC Vancouver competitors will be judged and a select few will move on to the UBC Vancouver semi-finals!
UBC Okanagan competitors can use this physical activity heat as a practice run. Competitors will be provided with feedback so they can record their presentation and submit it to the UBC Okanagan 3MT competition.
Participate as an Audience Member
We invite members of the community to attend the physical activity heat virtually! Audience members will be able to vote for their favourite presentation to dictate who receives recognition for “Audience Choice.”